Have you ever run your tongue over your teeth and found that they feel a little
instead of smooth? It’s not a good feeling, for sure! That fuzzy feeling is an abundance of plaque build-up on your teeth, which is a sticky substance containing bacteria. The bacteria in plaque eats sugar, which then produces acid. The acid is what breaks down tooth enamel and causes cavities.
So how do you get rid of plaque? It’s fairly simple–just follow basic good dental hygiene and you are well on your way to smoother, clean-feeling teeth!
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Get a professional dental cleaning every six months.
- Quit smoking (this is the toughest one for some)– Smoking leaves a sticky residue on your teeth and causes plaque to harden.
- Eat less sugar and carbohydrates, which will benefit your overall health as well.