Many of us take measures to stay healthy without really examining the facts. Here are several popular practices among the health conscious and whether they are worth the extra effort.
1. An apple a day keeps the doctor away– Apples are a great source of many vitamins and eating one is never a bad idea, but the real “super fruit” is blueberries. They are full of antioxidants and fiber, as well as easier to toss onto your cereal or yogurt.
2. Carbonated drinks can cause osteoporosis.– It’s true that soda is linked to osteoporosis, but the carbonation is not the reason, so carbonated water and seltzer are okay for your bones.
3. Stress=gray hair– Stress does release hormones into the body, but there is no evidence that it causes gray hair.
4. Egg consumption is linked to higher cholesterol.– Eggs have gotten a bad rap for years, but they actually are a great source of lean protein, even when consumed daily.
5. Spicy foods cause ulcers.– Hot peppers actually reduce the acid in the stomach that causes ulcers.
6. Going outside with wet hair makes you sick.– Being cold doesn’t make you sick, but viruses do.
7. It’s always a good idea to take a multivitamin– If your doctor prescribes you with a vitamin, take it. However, many people take a daily multivitamin that ends up providing them with more than enough of certain vitamins and minerals. At high levels, some vitamins can be toxic, and at the very least you may be wasting your money on expensive vitamins. Consult your doctor first.