Some dental hygiene habits are easily outlined through your regular trip to the dentist (brush at least twice a day, daily flossing, dental hygiene appointment every six months unless otherwise directed), however here are some helpful do’s (and don’ts) to protect your smile.
1. Don’t open packages or containers with your teeth. Countless dental emergencies occur from using teeth as a tool to open something difficult.
2. Don’t consume older candy or foods, especially gummy items. These can pull out old fillings or chip teeth.
3. Do keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste in your desk drawer, purse, or convenient location for brushing on the go. This can prevent coffee/tea stains, freshen breath before a meeting, or save your teeth from an afternoon sugary snack.
4. Do sip beverages through a straw when possible. This goes for soda, coffee, lemonade, or anything else that can have an adverse effect on the enamel of your teeth. This can minimize the stains from the drinks.
5. Don’t sip your coffee/tea/soda all day long. This maximizes the opportunity for the beverage to stain your teeth. Instead, drink and enjoy over a reasonable period of time then brush if possible.