Have you ever looked at a picture of yourself and felt embarrassed or unhappy about your smile? Have you wondered how your teeth have become yellow or stained over time? Fortunately, discolored teeth is an easy fix with many options.
Tooth discoloration is generally caused by a couple of factors:
- The aging process– as we age, the enamel of our teeth becomes thinner, which allows the yellow dentin to show through
- food and drink choices– Certain foods and drinks can stain our teeth. The top offenders are red wine, coffee, tea, and dark soda. Other foods and drinks can cause plaque build-up which can contribute to a smile that is not as white as you might like.
- tobacco usage– Tobacco products can cause major surface stains on the teeth.
- dental hygiene neglect– Of course, if you aren’t brushing, flossing or going for regular dental cleanings, the plaque on your teeth can cause them to look yellow or stained.
It’s easy to get that whiter, brighter smile that you deserve. There are several options to whiten your teeth in no time, based on your timeline and budget.
- Drugstore whitening agents– Whitestrips and other over-the-counter options can temporarily whiten your teeth. While easily accessible and immediately cost-effective, the results are slower and less dramatic than those you receive from your dentist.
- In-office bleaching– This is the quickest way to get a brighter smile. One hour in our chair with a whitening agent (hydrogen peroxide) will leave your smile 7-12 shades whiter. We are trained to apply the gel to avoid the gums and have even whitening results.
- At-home bleaching kits– These kits provide customized, longer-lasting results than the drugstore kits due to the nature of the bleaching agent, and the trays that are made to fit in your mouth. Within a week or so, your smile will look noticeably whiter.